Friday, May 2, 2014

I envy the old me

I lost count of how many times I've attended the parent support group. It's probably been at least 5 or 6 times. Every time is different but one thing remains the same: there are always new people in the group. 

Every month, more grieving parents join our "club". My heart always sinks to see that more people went through this. When I hear their stories, I cry for them. It reminds me of the sharp pain one feels the first few weeks after losing a child. I see myself in them, I know they will eventually feel a little lighter, but I can feel what they feel. I relive the experience. I feel their pain, their anger, their despair.

The first weeks and months after losing Leo, I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it through life. It hasn't been easy. Leo's birth marked a major milestone in my life - that day changed me. I envy the old me, the me that never lived through a tragedy, that never lost anyone that was close to me. But that seems like so long ago; though it's  only been 6 months.

 Tomorrow is National Bereaved Mother's Day and I'll be volunteering at the March for Babies - I am doing this for my baby but also for all the other little angels.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that I found your blog. My husband and I lost our daughter at prematurely at 21 wks gestation, eight weeks ago. Life is no longer normal, there is not going back to the same person I was before losing her. But through God's grace and the promise of his love and healing I look to the future with joy knowing that she is in heaven and God is in control. I have to remind myself of this daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. First, let me say that I am deeply sorry for your loss. Reading your post took me back to when the loss was still sooo fresh. It's a horrible feeling - I hope you will feel lighter as time goes by.
      Faith has also provided me with some comfort, though I do sometimes waver. <3

      Delete