Monday, October 7, 2013

Getting the Feeling

I'm at 21 weeks and 4 days now. I can now say that I'm slowly grasping the idea that I have a little baby growing inside of me and that I'll soon be a mother. I wasn't feeling any attachment or emotions up until now, but this week I started feeling excited. It's all coming together.

My husband said something to me last week that melted my heart. He showed me an episode of a TV show about a country signer. In the episode, the signer's kids went on stage and sang beautifully. Then, my husband told me "I saw this episode before you got pregnant and I thought the kids were amazing. But now, as I watch this, I can only imagine how proud a parent can be of his kids." It touched me that he was already experiencing the feelings of being a parent. He also always says 'hi baby' when he comes home while rubbing my belly. On Saturday, we prayed together. Usually when we do this, he places some ashes or powder on our foreheads. This time, we also put some on my belly for the baby.

Two weekends ago, I went to baby Gap and bought 5 onesies for our baby boy. Last Saturday, I went onto Carter.com and bought more stuff. Having baby stuff around the house is a reminder that we're getting ready for this little bundle of joy. All these things together really make our baby feel present in our home.

I also started feeling my baby boy more often. I feel him a little during the day, but it's more prevalent at night, when I lie down and am ready to go to sleep. When I don't feel him, I get a little worried so I try to press on my belly a little to see if he moves. It gives me peace to feel him. It's hard to explain this feeling, but it's a mix of joy, relief and amazement.

DH and I also started talking about names. He likes Jack and Jeff. I don't. I like Noah, Lucas, Joshua. We both kinda like Zack and Leonardo. I think we're leaning towards Leonardo right now. It means "strong as a lion" or "lion-hearted". That's a strong, powerful meaning; I like that.  So we'll start referring to our baby as Leo for now to see how that feels. I like that it's a latin name (my mother tongue is Portuguese) and that it's easy to pronounce in French (which will be the baby's mother tongue) and English but that it's not super common.

I am thankful that I'm still feeling pretty good. I've got a little sciatic pain, which bothers me from time to time, but it's nothing compared to what other pregnant women go through. I have energy, am working out, feel pretty good and have no other pains. I am feeling a little impatient though. When I hit the halfway mark last week I thought "wow, halfway already"...but now, time seems to go by slower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment