Monday, October 28, 2013

Funeral Arrangements for our Son

On Saturday, October 26th, my husband  and I had to go to the funeral home to discuss arrangements and sign some documents. We took a cab there. It was the first time I left the house since giving birth to Leo.

On our way to the funeral home, looking through the car window, I saw the world going on. People walking around downtown Seattle, enjoying the sunny Saturday, having fun, carrying on with their lives. It made me mad. How can the world go on? How can these people be walking around as if nothing had happened? I know I can't expect the world to stop because of my loss...I know this is not rational. But my world had collapsed and it felt unreal to see that the world had not changed.

The funeral arrangements were very mechanical. We were just going through the motions. My husband and I have never witnessed a burial or a cremation. Our son's funeral will be our first funeral ever.

We decided to do a cremation, so that we could keep his ashes with us. I know that anything we do right now is not for Leo, it's for us. We're trying to find a way to somehow feel better. So, we decided to just have a very simple cremation. It will just be the two of us and a priest.

After the funeral, we walked to a restaurant to have lunch and then went grocery shopping. It feels good to do normal, mundane tasks. Grocery shopping made me feel normal. We called some friends to pick us up and drive us back home. Then, we prepared dinner and invited ourselves to our friends' house. We shared a meal with them, played a board game, laughed and talked. It felt so good. I don't know if I should feel guilty for having fun that night - I mean, I had fun on the same day that we made funeral arrangements for our baby.

I have my moments at home, when I'm really hurting and sad. The mornings are the worst. You wake up after a good  night sleep and remember what happened. But I also don't want to seclude myself from society, stay at home crying all day long. I want to move on, I need to move on. This doesn't mean I love Leo any less. I don't want to pretend this never happened nor do I want to forget this. I want to live on with the sweet memory of my baby boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment