Friday, June 21, 2013

Week 6: Petit Poix (Green Pea)

Well, it's officially week 6. You are now the size of a pea.

I started reading "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" to learn more about this adventure we're on. I have to say that it's a little scary to read about all the things that can go wrong and all the pregnancy symptoms I might soon start feeling.

But mostly, I'm scared to lose you. I have been bleeding on and off since last Sunday (5 days now). I went into the doctor yesterday for a blood test to check if my hCG levels were where they should be. Yeah, hCG...that's a new word in my vocabulary. It stands for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (what a mouthful). It basically is a hormone produced by the placenta and it indicates pregnancy.

This morning, the nurse from the hospital called me and said that my levels are where they are expected to be at 6 months. My question then was: "does it definitely mean I didn't have a miscarriage?". She couldn't really answer that...but on Wednesday, I'm going for my first ultrasound to make sure everything is ok with you. I'm excited and scared. In the meantime, the nurse told me not to be active, rest and drink lots of water. She also told me to practice vaginal rest. WHAT? Well, basically, that means not using tampons, no sexual relations and no physical activity for 24 hours after the bleeding stops.

I'm not feeling many symptoms yet, other than crying often for no reason, be it while singing at church or while watching TV. But so far, I've got no morning sickness (knock on wood) and no other discomforts.

This is you at 6 weeks - as small as a pea
We haven't yet told your grandparents nor your aunt and uncle about your existence. Your maternal grandma is coming to visit un in mid-July (in about 3 weeks) and we wanted to tell her in person. She'll be the first one we tell. Then, your paternal grandparents are coming in early August and we will be telling them in person too. It's been hard to keep the secret, but I really really want to see their excitement and have them near and hug them when they hear the news. They'll be so happy. Neither set of grandparents have been grandparents before, so this is a big step for them too.

I've already got it all planned. Your dad and I plan on taking a walk with my mom and we'll ask a stranger to take a picture of us while we're breaking the news to her. We'll have her expressions and reactions and we'll be able to share that with you one day. We'll probably do the same with your paternal grandparents as well. I'm so excited!!!

Then, for the rest of our family, I was thinking of making custom fortune cookies with messages like "a new bundle of joy is arriving" or "a child will bless this family". And then just have people call us when they eat their first fortune cookie....because that is what you are: our fortune.

I'm getting emotional just typing these words. I can't wait to meet you.


You mom



No comments:

Post a Comment