Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Unexpected Acts of Kindness


I spent so much time being disappointed at friends and family who haven't been there for me. Disappointed at those who heard the news and never called me. Disappointed at those who called once and never called nor emailed again. Disappointed at those who are still in touch with me but pretend nothing has happened.

For every person I have been disappointed with, there has been someone who surprised me with a random and unexpected act of kindness.

People in my church have been so supportive, people I never even talked to before losing Leo. They have shared their own stories of lost, they have hugged me, they have squeezed my hand when they sensed I was going through a tough moment. 

The florist near my place, gave me a dozen roses on Valentine's day, the day after Leo's due date. He just grabbed them from this buckets of flowers and said "this is for you guys." It took me everything I had to not cry right there in front of him. A few days later I gave him a thank you card and he hugged me saying he really likes us.

People we don't even know, but who have heard our story email us saying "you don't know me, but I've been through this too and I'm thinking of you."

These are small but meaningful gestures. Random acts if kindness coming from random people all around us is what gives me faith in humanity. 

It's not such a bad world after all.


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't sleep tonight, woke up tossing and turning over things going on in my life. This post really reminds me of how much I am grateful to have you in my life and how strong you are. "Faith in humanity". Well said!

    ReplyDelete