Thursday, August 8, 2013

Heartbeats, Announcements & Ultrasound

It’s been a little while since I wrote a post. My mother came to visit for 2 weeks and now my in-laws are here for another 2 weeks. It’s been a hectic couple of weeks and a lot has happened.

I did some research online on the best way to break the news to loved ones. I liked one suggestion, which was to ask someone to take non-stop pictures while you’re announcing your pregnancy so that you have a series of pictures depicting people’s reactions and emotions. So, I decided to do that, but to go one step further and also ask someone to record it on video.

 
Announcing to your maternal grandma
So, on my mother’s second day here, we took her to a beautiful spot in Seattle. It’s a lookout and you can see the lake, the city, the Space Needle…it’s the spot from where all postcard shots are taken. My husband gave someone our camera and gave someone else his iPhone (for the video recording). He told them that we’re making an announcement and we wanted to capture it. I’m so glad we did! At the moment, when you break the news, it’s hard to be aware of everything. It just goes by so quickly. But when I looked at the pictures, I could really see my mom’s surprise, excitement, tears. It was great. The video too is amazing. I’ve watched it several times already.

Announcing to your paternal grandparents
We did the same with my in-laws. We took them to a different location and got 2 people to help us out (one for the picture, one for the video). Those pictures too were amazing. The video was nice, but I wish we had told the person to come a little closer so that we could have heard everything. But anyway, it’s really precious to be able to look back at all that.

We announced to my dad over Google Hangouts and recorded that too. We did that with my brother-in-law as well. Now, I just need to tell my sister, who apparently is too busy to video chat with me for 10 mins.

During my mom’s visit, at about 12 weeks, we all (mom, husband and I) went to the doctor to hear the baby’s heartbeat. It’s sooooo fast. I was relieved that we could hear it, because I still don’t feel pregnant…so any reassurance that there’s actually a baby in there makes me happy. I’m still not feeling nauseous and I’m not as tired as I was before. I also haven’t gained any weight (on the scale) but can see my belly protruding a little.

This morning, I went to the doctor’s office again. This time, for an ultrasound that would detect if our baby might have any chromosome abnormalities (down syndrome, etc.). It’s part 1 of a two-part test.  They also drew a blood sample from my arm. I’ll know in a week what our chances are. I’m not too worried though.

The nicest part though about today’s visit was actually seeing the baby. The first time (at week 6), all I could see was a little cocoon that didn't look anything like a human. But today, I could see the baby’s 2 legs, 2 arms, fingers, face, brain, spine…wow it already is a little person!!!
I’m officially on my second trimester. It’s now ok to start telling people. Ideally, I’d like to tell my sister before I tell others…I hope that will happen this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment