Monday, August 26, 2013

More Announcements to Friends and Family


I haven’t written in a while. My new job is keeping me busy and by the time I get home, I’m so tired! Now that my mother and my in-laws have left, I’m back to doing a lot of the normal house chores. I was lucky that my guests helped me so much. It’s a little hard to get back to my normal responsibilities.

This past Saturday I went for my blood test, which is the 2nd part of the sequential test (test to determine if there are any chromosomes abnormality with the baby).  We should hear back on Tuesday. The doc told me that if everything is ok, the nurse will call. If there’s anything to be concerned about, my doc will call. I’m hoping to hear the nurse’s voice!

Two weekends ago, I invited my closest Seattle friends to have brunch at one of our favorite brunch places. I asked the waitress to hand out the fortune cookies I  had prepared  whenever she was handing out the bill. It was a funny event. The fortune cookies said “a new bundle of joy is arriving soon” and some said “good things come in small packages.” Our friends, 2 couples, read the messages and started freaking out a little. Of course, they thought this was THEIR fortune. I didn’t see that coming! Then, I told them “the fortune cookies are from us.” They were still a little confused, so I had no choice but to blurt out “I’m pregnant”. Their reaction was fun. Just pure happiness. It was really great.

When my mom was here, I gave her some fortune cookies to give to my uncles and their families. She has given it to them, but they have not opened it yet. I don’t know if they will. I’m starting to think that maybe that the fortune cookie announcement wasn’t such a great idea. I’ll call them in a week and ask them to open it.


We’ve also video chatted with a few family members on my husband’s side of the family and announced the news. Since we’re so far from everyone, it’s great to be able to see their faces and their reactions. It’s been fun telling people. I started wondering, what is it about pregnancy that makes others so happy for you? Are they happy that you will finally discover the joys of parenthood? What about those who are not parents yet? Why are they so happy?  I’m not complaining of course, I’m just wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment