Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Week 10: Olive

Wow, it's been 10 weeks already. It seemed to have gone by so quickly, but then again, I was already 5 weeks when I found out that I was pregnant. 30 more weeks to go!

I found out yesterday that the little pod in me in now the size of an olive and that it is officially a fetus now (no longer an embryo). This makes it real. I've got a little person in me. Although I don't really feel much different. I'm still a bit tired, but not as much as I was a few weeks ago. Other than that, no other symptoms...so it's been good so far.

I think I started showing a little. My husband can notice it but I don't know if anyone else can. Maybe they can,but they just don't want to ask me if I gained weight. Actually, I had lost about 2 pounds around weeks 6 and 7 and last week I gained them back. So, I'm back to where I was when I found out I was pregnant.


I'm on week 3 at my new job. I don't particularly like my boss very much and I am getting increasingly nervous about telling him that I'm pregnant. I have a feeling he is not going to take it well. We had a meeting with a pregnant client last week and the executive VP (a woman) of my company told me "Anne (not her real name) is very pregnant. She was pregnant last time I worked with her. In fact, she seems continuously pregnant." That doesn't sound too positive. Does the VP have an aversion to pregnant women? This is not looking good for me. Plus, since I would have been here for less than 12 months by the time I deliver, my company does not have to give me maternity leave. I don't know how they'll handle that. Basically, if I take 3 months off, they do not have to guarantee me my job back, according to the Washington state law. It's crazy...

I'm from Canada, a country that gives every woman 12 months maternity leave. Most of those months, the new mom is paid 65% of her salary and if she's lucky, her company matches it to 100%. Having to take only 3  months off, not having them be paid and not be guaranteed a job when I'm ready to come back is really frustrating to me. I'm definitely worried.


No comments:

Post a Comment