Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Workshop at the Hospital + Carb Attack

Last Saturday, my husband and I went to a 1-hr workshop at the hospital. We were there with another 5-6 couples. A nurse walked us through the basics of pregancy, telling us what to eat, what not to eat, all the things that can go wrong, what to expect, etc.

Since I've been reading "What to Expect When You Are Expecting", I knew a lot already. But, I'm not going to lie, it was scary. To think of all the things that can go wrong, all the infections that can be passed on to the baby, all the things that can cause miscarriages...it was overwhelming. It made it so real - I'm 100% responsible for the well-being of this little creature growing inside me. I've never had so much power and responsibility - ever. It's scary.

After the 1 hr workshop, I did a bunch of blood tests to check if everything is ok, if the baby and I are susceptible to some diseases, etc. That went well  and was fairly uneventful.

Right after the hospital, I went on a 22 mile bike ride with my friends. I was the slowest one. I don't know if I can blame that on pregnancy at all. :)

One thing the nurse told us during the workshop was that drinking a lot of water can prevent many of the pregnancy symptoms. I'm drinking tons of water, which might explain why I haven't had any unpleasant symptoms  yet, other than tiredness. Oh and how am tired!

I started a new job on Monday, and come 2pm, all I could think about was taking a nap. Good thing it wasn't a busy day - but I'm a little worried about when the day does become busy. I have been going home everyday and taking a 1-2 hours nap. On Saturday, I slept in until noon! That's not like me at all.

Today, July 3rd, we get off work at 2:30pm in preparation for the long weekend. At 5pm, my friend is picking me up and we're taking a little trip during the long weekend. I was so happy when I heard it was going to be a short day. The first thing that came to my mind is: I get time to nap!

I'm a little worried about this trip with my friends. We're going to be 5 people, including my husband. We're all pretty active - but I'm worried that I'll just want to sleep and sleep and sleep. We'll see how that goes.

I've started experiencing cravings, but i'm not sure if it's a craving per se, or just that I'm not eating enough....even though I have started eating more. Since about a week, I come home and can't wait to eat bread and other carbs. Yesterday after work, I couldn't wait to go home so I went to a bagel shop and was devasted when I found it closed. So, I went to Starbucks and bought a pumpkin loaf. It was delicious, but it was too small. I got home, made myself a peanut butter croissant sandwich, ate some chips and and Ritz crackers. It felt soooo good!

I haven't gained any weight yet. I read that I'm not really supposed to gain in the first trimester. I've actually lost a little (1 lb) because I've been making a conscious effort to eat healthier.

I think the pregnancy hasn't really hit us yet. I don't know when that is going to happen. Maybe when we start spreading the news? Two more weeks before my mom comes to visit us and we share the news with her! Can't wait!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment